Cornish Pilot Gigs, Newquay, 1956
About this item
Cornish Pilot Gigs 'Bonnet', 'Dove', 'Shah', 'Slippen', 'Golden Eagle', 'Treffry' and 'Newquay' in Newquay harbour, the first time all seven gigs of Newquay Rowing Club were moored together. All were built by the Peters family of St Mawes - ‘Golden Eagle’, 'Bonnet', 'Treffry', 'Newquay', 'Dove' and 'Shah' in 1870, 1830, 1838, 1812, 1820 and 1873 respectively. 'Slippen' was built in 1830 for St Martins on the Isles of Scilly and originally known as 'Bernice', the name being changed when she was sold to St Agnes. In 1907 she was used in the rescue of the American schooner, Thomas W. Lawson and In 1925 she was involved in the rescue of 26 people from the wreck of 'Cite de Verdun'. During 1953 and 1954 Richard Gillis, George Northey and Tom Pryor visited the Isles of Scilly to view several Scillonian Gigs with a view to photographing and recording them before they were lost forever and from where they purchased for Newquay Rowing Club ‘Bonnet’, ‘Golden Eagle’, ‘Slippen’ and ‘Shah’. All modern Cornish Pilot Gigs are based on the ‘Treffry’ and ‘Newquay’ is the oldest of the Cornish Pilot Gigs still in use today.
Citation“Cornish Pilot Gigs, Newquay, 1956,” cornishmemory.com, accessed January 18, 2020, http://cornishmemory.com/item/BAW_1_004.
This site is run by Azook CIC, a not-for-profit organisation. Please help us to expand and develop cornishmemory.com.
Metadata for this item is available in the following formats: