Cornish Pilot Gigs, Newquay, 1950's
About this item
Newquay Rowing Club's Cornish Pilot Gigs 'Slippen', 'Bonnet' and 'Golden Eagle'. 'Slippen' was built in 1830 for St Martins on the Isles of Scilly and originally known as 'Bernice', the name being changed when she was sold to St Agnes. In 1907 she was used in the rescue of the American schooner, Thomas W. Lawson and in 1925 she was involved in the rescue of 26 people from the wreck of 'Cite de Verdun'. 'Bonnet' was built by the Peters family of St Mawes around 1830 and was purchased from the Island of Tresco. 'Golden Eagle' was also built by the Peters family in 1870 and was purchased from the Island of Bryher. During the 1950s and early 1960s many of the Scillonian boats were purchased by Newquay, eventually returning to the Islands. Pictured l-r Dick Kennedy, Pat Kennedy, Tommy Todd, Ewart Kennedy, Chris Moffatt, Mike Morris, unknown, Mr Rickard, Bob Davey, unknown, AJ Clemens, 'Gardener' Powell, Edgar Carter, Dick Gillis and Sammy Malone.
Citation“Cornish Pilot Gigs, Newquay, 1950's,” cornishmemory.com, accessed May 30, 2020, http://cornishmemory.com/item/BAW_1_011.
This site is run by Azook CIC, a not-for-profit organisation. Please help us to expand and develop cornishmemory.com.
Metadata for this item is available in the following formats: