Enid Johns, Helston Council School
About this item
Enid Johns, née Kneebone, recalls starting at Helston Council School in 1936 and the school transferring from the Wesleyan Day School Shute Hill, to Penrose Road later on. She remembers hiding in the spence (the Cornish word for the cupboard beneath the stairs) from the 'whipper-in' whose job it was to locate absent pupils. Helston Council School became Helston Secondary Modern School and was later renamed Helston County Secondary School. In the sixties and early seventies the Penrose Road school was known locally as the ‘Green School’ because of its uniform of dark green and grey.
Cornubian Arts and Science Trust
Citation“Enid Johns, Helston Council School,” cornishmemory.com, accessed May 26, 2019, http://cornishmemory.com/item/HGS_052.
This site is run by Azook CIC, a not-for-profit organisation. Please help us to expand and develop cornishmemory.com.
Metadata for this item is available in the following formats: